Friday, May 11, 2018

Vacation Time Nostalgia...



Believe it or not, we are just two weeks away from Memorial Day Weekend, the unofficial start of summer, and - if they are lucky - the time when families begin to take their annual vacations. It makes me think back to when my parents moved to Stuart, Florida in 1976.  My sister Susan and I would go down to visit them once or twice a year, usually in the summer, and we would often take road trips to places like Key West, Sanibel Island, St. Augustine, and the historic cities of Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina.  My sister always reminisces about those trips to Savannah and Charleston, and what a pleasure it was to see those beautiful cities.  I took the above photo of my parents Nelson and Mary on the veranda of Boone Hall Plantation, just outside of Charleston, back in 1979.  It has been around since 1681, and is one of America's oldest working plantations, although I am pretty sure they no longer use slave labor, depending on how you define slave labor, of course.  In any case, we had some great trips back then, and I am truly grateful for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment