Monday, May 14, 2018

Hiking Tips For Spring



Now that spring is here, as a public service I am once again giving my hiking tips.  The main one being, if you see something like in the above photo on the trail, I would start backing up very slowly, unless of course it's cub is directly behind you.  Then, of course, you are truly screwed.  Dive off the trail into the woods immediately and run like crazy.  And then, of course, bears are not your only worry up in the mountains. When I first moved to Colorado back in 1981, moose did not exist in the state.  Then Colorado Parks and Wildlife decided to reintroduce the species into the state, and they have been wildly successful.  It is now very common for moose to wander the streets of Breckenridge, Frisco, and other mountain towns, and it turns out that moose are not exactly a friendly species.  If someone tries to pet them or take a "selfie," which just happened here this past week, they tend to attack.  Unfortunately, I do not have any photographs of a moose.  I have never seen one, but I think the time has come to head up to the mountains with my camera and snap some photos.  What could go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment