Sunday, December 9, 2018

More On First Friday




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I went down to Santa Fe Boulevard here in Denver Friday night for the monthly First Friday Art Walk.  And I must say, I was pretty disappointed in the art this month. Most of it seemed pretty amateurish to me.  At the Center For Visual Arts (operated by Metropolitan State University of Denver), the BFA Thesis Exhibition was on display, and much of the art was just plain weird.  Do these students really believe there is a market for this stuff?  Plus, there was very little photography on display, which is not a surprise now that the John Fielder Photography Gallery has closed it's doors.  Is the art scene in Denver fading, or is December just not a good month for art exhibitions?  Time will tell.




In any case, I decided to focus on photographing the lights out on the street, which I found far more artistic than the works inside.  The photograph on the right was near a shop called The Room of Lost Things, which I have found to be one of the weirdest stores in Denver.  I have looked around that store on previous First Fridays, when the place was wall to wall people, but this past Friday, since I was walking around pretty early in the evening, the place was empty, and I did not want to be alone with just the staff.  God knows where they get their inventory, and I didn't want to wind up becoming part of it for First Friday January.  Just kidding guys!  I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment