Friday, December 7, 2018

Santa Claus Is Back!










I don't tend to hang out at the mall very much, but on recent trips to both Cherry Creek and Park Meadows (Denver's two upscale shopping venues) I noticed that Santa Claus has returned and is doing big business in the middle of the mall, and that the tradition of having your photo taken with Santa lives on.  However, now that I look at the photographs taken of both my sister Susan and myself with Santa back in the day, I can't help but have the feeling I was ripped off.  Take a look at the photo on the left.  Santa isn't even looking at the camera, seems zoned out, and there is a ticket with number 28,420 in plain view.  Was I the 28,420th child to visit him that day?  No wonder he seems so out of it.






On the other hand, the photograph of my sister Susan and Santa is much more engaging. Santa is looking directly at the camera and actually looks like the real Santa.  Plus, there is a pleasant "Seasons Greetings" message on the bottom of the photograph.  The photograph of me was taken in the 1950s, and Susan's was taken in the 1940s.  Is that the difference - a different era, a different attitude on the part of Santa?  Personally, I feel I deserve a redo, but if I drove over to Park Meadows or Cherry Creek with the photos and demanded to sit on Santa's lap have have a replacement photo taken, they would probably call the mall cops.  And I've already had dealings with them, so forget it. Season's Greetings from the Grinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment