Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Serious Play




I went to the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) the other afternoon to see the latest exhibits on display, and sad to say I was pretty underwhelmed by the experience.  The big new event is titled "Serious Play: Design in Midcentury America." It explores the playfulness in design that took place in America after the horrors of World War II.  You would think I would like it, since this is the period that I grew up in, but it kind of left me cold.  This is art?  To me it is just an exhibit of old household objects, but keep in mind that I am now a curmudgeon. And very changeable.  Some days I can tour an exhibit and hate it, and return another day in a different mood and love it.  Technically speaking, I think that is called insanity.


The big story at the museum as far as I am concerned is that the renovation of the North Building (the Gio Ponti Building) is definitely taking shape.  The new main entrance for the building can be seen in the photograph on the right, although I have no idea how much of the interior remodeling has been completed.  I have a keen interest in the progress of this project, since once it began, the free buffet table at the monthly Final Friday events was discontinued, since the kitchens at the museum were in a part of the building that was demolished.  And once the renovation of the building is complete, will the free buffet tale return?  It better.  If you think the "Yellow Jacket" protests in Paris are something, just see what happens in Denver if free food at the DAM is eliminated.  It makes me shudder to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment