Tuesday, July 7, 2020

A Drive Up Poudre Canyon



My sister Susan and I, along with her two dogs Tutu and Blackberry, drove up Poudre Canyon, west of Fort Collins, a few days back to enjoy the day and escape the heat.  The road follows the Poudre River 65 miles west to the top of Cameron Pass (10,249 feet above sea level).  After you cross the pass, you head downhill and eventually reach the State of Colorado's Moose Visitor Center, where I have never once seen a moose that wasn't stuffed. Beyond that is flat, treeless cattle country, in the center of which is the town of Walden, the only down side to the place being that you are in the town of Walden.  Susan and I decided to stop just before the pass, and before heading back, took the dogs for a walk down to Joe Wright Reservoir, seen in the photograph above.  I must say, it was indeed nice and cool up there, and Blackberry and I were game for a walk along the water.  Susan and Tutu, not so much.  Just like my father, Susan prefers to look at the wilderness from the safety of the car.  A little bit of wilderness goes a long way for ex-Chicagoans.

No comments:

Post a Comment