Sunday, July 12, 2020

A Little Bit Of Chicago Nostalgia






I ran across some slides that I took in Chicago back in 1971, when I often used to walk around the city taking photographs - most of them, I am sad to say, not very good.  I much prefer the digital era, where you can immediately check the results and retake the photo a dozen more times, if need be, to get it right.  People just love me for that little habit of mine.  In any case, the photograph on the left shows Buckingham Fountain, located in Chicago's Grant Park, all lite up on a summer's evening.  What could be nicer than that?




I am pretty sure I took the photograph on the right of the State Lake Theater on the same night that I took the photo of Buckingham Fountain.  I see on the marquee that The Red Tent, starring Sean Connery and Claudia Cardinale, was playing there at the time. Not only did I never see the film, I don't think I have even heard of it.  In any case, the State Lake was located on the corner of those two streets.  At one time, State Street was a pedestrian only mall, but since a CTA bus is in the photograph, it must have been reopened to traffic by then. As I recall, State Street was on the downward side when I left Chicago for Denver.  The last time I visited, even Carson Pierre Scott had deserted it's Louis Sullivan designed store located there.  Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment