Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Continuing With The Inspector Rebus Series




I just finished reading two of Ian Rankin's early John Rebus mysteries. I found both on sale at the Arc Thrift Store in Fort Collins. After reading Rankin's latest book, In a House of Lies, which features a retired (but still meddling) Detective Inspector Rebus, I wanted to see what the earlier books were like.  In Let It Bleed, a younger and feistier Rebus investigates a potential kidnapping, as well as a suicide that appears to be connected to a major political cover up.  Rankin paints the city of Edinburgh as one filled with a lot of public housing and a lot of violence.  I have visited Edinburgh, and didn't see any evidence of that while I was there, although I must admit that I did not go looking for the underbelly of that city. Perhaps next time.



Black and Blue finds Rebus being investigated by both reporters and internal affairs on his role in convicting a habitual criminal for murder, who before committing suicide, writes a book claiming he was framed.  At the same time, Rebus must deal with a mysterious death connected with drug trafficking in Aberdeen, as well as tracking down a copycat serial killer, while the original serial killer gets involved as well.  I liked both books, and recommend the series to anyone who is interested in British police procedurals.  I definitely intend to order Rankin's newest book from the library when it comes out in October.  And if you are planning a trip to either Edinburgh or Aberdeen after the end of the coronavirus pandemic, I would advise you to watch your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment