Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Edge Of The Great Plains



Each time I drive up to Fort Collins from Denver, I am reminded that Colorado's Front Range represents the edge of the Great Plains, which dramatically ends where the foothills of the Rocky Mountains begin. I can just imagine the early pioneers crossing this great expanse of flat, boring country on their way to California, and then seeing those Rocky Mountains looming in the distance.  I think a great many of them must have said "This is good. We've traveled far enough. Let's settle here." And thus the population of Northern Colorado began to grow. And to whom does that long string of box cars in the above photograph belong?  The Great Western Railway, a freight carrier that connects Fort Collins, Greeley, Loveland, and Longmont, with a whopping 80 miles of track.  One of the few small train lines in the State of Colorado that does not offer a scenic train for tourists to ride. I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment