Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Subway Exhibition Series






This past Sunday and Monday the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs played an exhibition series, the first at Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs, and the second at Guaranteed Rate Field, the White Sox's home park. It was a classic North Side-South Side showdown. My friend Stuart is from the North Side of Chicago and a life-long Cubs fan, as opposed to me, born and raised on the South Side of the city. The photograph on the left shows Stuart at Wrigley Field, back in his younger days, probably when he was an undergraduate at nearby Loyola University.


The photograph on the right is of me in front of Comiskey Park, located on the South Side of Chicago and for many years the home of the White Sox. Just across the street is the Illinois Institute of Technology, where I was an undergraduate student back in the day. And I must say, I really miss going to those games by horse drawn carriage. That was when attending baseball games was truly fun. Both of these photographs come from the book Ballparks Then and Now by Eric Enders. I am just amazed that both Stuart and I would be featured in historic photographs in the same book - what an amazing coincidence! And by the way, my South Side heros, the Chicago White Sox, beat the Cubs 7-3 on Sunday night, and 5-3 on Monday. Are the White Sox that good, or are the Cubs that bad? Probably a combination of both. And if the White Sox win it all this year, will their achievement be questioned because of the shortened season? Of course it will. We White Sox fans anticipate that kind of reaction.  That is what makes us White Sox fans. Talk about fatalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment