Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The Warsaw Protocol



I just finished reading The Warsaw Protocol, Steve Berry's latest Cotton Malone spy novel. A while back, I put in hold requests at the Denver Public Library for 10 new books by some of my favorite authors, and 4 of them recently turned up at the same time, requiring me to pick up the pace of my reading, which is normally pretty pokey. Which is why I finished the Warsaw Protocol at record speed. This time Malone finds himself dragged into an auction, attended by representatives of 6 nations, offering blackmail material on the Polish president, who is refusing to allow an American missile base to be located in Poland. If the United States gets this material, it can force the Polish president to allow those missiles, putting Poland in Russia's cross-hairs. I enjoyed this book very much, and found the ending especially exciting. In some of his recent books, Berry has let his conservative viewpoints come through, which I have found a bit off-putting, and so was surprised to find a harsh narrative describing a thinly veiled Trump administration. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading international thrillers. Just as long as you are not a Trump supporter, of course. And by the way, today is the 81st anniversary of Germany's invasion of Poland, which was the start of World War II. How timely is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment