Monday, September 21, 2020

Back In The Saddle Again!





This past weekend, I decided to go biking for the first time in about 6 weeks. I had a biking accident at the beginning of August, with major dental implications, and decided to take a break from riding for a while. I finally decided it was time to venture out once again, and had a really nice time, biking from my condo near the University of Denver to Sloan's Lake and back. I am looking at my accident as a warning - it could have been my brain that hit that steel grate, after all. And, as you can see in the photo on the left, I am now wearing a helmet when I ride. It turns out that I might not be immortal after all.






Along the way on my ride, I visited Larimer Square (seen in the photo on the right), which is currently closed to traffic in order to allow more outside space for restaurants, and found that there were a fair number of people there. Everyone seems to be okay with eating at restaurants here in Colorado, as long as they can be outside. The nice weather should last for another couple of months, but after that, one has to wonder if these restaurants will still attract all that many customers. And survive over the winter.






Another place that seems to be doing well is the Briar Common Brewery. Back in March, right after all restaurants were closed down except for takeout, I was walking past this brew pub and noticed a sign saying that all their beer was on sale. I went inside, and bought two crowlers, which before that day I had never heard of (they are sealed, 32 ounce cans of beer poured from the tap). I was the only customer in the place, and I wondered how in the world they were going to survive. But survive they did, and as I biked past I could see that people were once again hanging out on their rooftop patio, as seen in the photo on the left. Good for them.

1 comment: