Monday, September 7, 2020

The Unofficial Last Day Of Summer



Today is Labor Day, the unofficial last day of summer.  Especially for people like me, who grew up in Chicago and had to return to school the very next day. To me, the last day of school each year was the happiest day of my life, and I just dreaded returning to the classroom on that horrible Tuesday morning. It was hard to believe that only a few weeks ago, my family and I had been vacationing up in Ontario, along with my Uncle Bill's family. My Uncle Bill was my mother's brother, and he and his family lived in Cleveland. Our family would drive to Canada from Chicago, and they would drive up from there. The first resort the two families stayed at was a really nice place on the Lake of Bays, called Britannia. When it became prohibitively expensive, they went to a resort called Lumina, on the same lake and which is actually still around. That is where the above photograph was taken, sometime in the mid 1950s. From left to right in the back row of the photograph is a person I don't know, then my Uncle Bill, and then myself, being held by my father Nelson. Sitting down in the front row are my cousin Linda, mother Mary, cousin Judy, Aunt Elsie, and my sister Susan. I had to crop this photograph quite a bit to better show everyone. The photographer seems to have taken this photo from quite a distance. I wonder what he or she was afraid of? Most likely my sister Susan. And I mean that with all due respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment