Thursday, September 3, 2020

The Night Train To Milan



When my sister Susan and I were in Europe last year, we took an overnight train trip from Paris to Florence, which was quite the adventure. The train was divided into 6 person compartments, and the seats folded into berths where you could sleep - if you could, that is. It was hot as hell in there, and it was decided that we should open the windows. However, if you did that, the sound of the train was very loud, and so we wound up dealing with the heat. One of the passengers had a cold I was worried about catching, and the wife of an American couple recounted the horror of having to watch an old Italian guy take off and put on his pants during the trip, being as she was on the lower berth. I don't think anybody slept - except me, of course - and everyone agreed that next time they would fly. I took the above photograph as we got off the train in Milan, and a few minutes later watched our connecting train to Florence pull out of the station. Those trains really do run on time, damn that Mussolini. You can never pay too much for fun like that, as we cheapskates like to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment