Sunday, January 17, 2021

Spring Training Is Only 4 Weeks Away!


What with all the focus on such things as election fraud, the storming of the US Capitol, impeachment, and a deadly worldwide pandemic, we have all lost sight of what is truly important in life - namely, the start of the major league baseball season. Pitchers and catchers report to spring training camps on February 16th, a mere 4 weeks away, and I have a sneaking suspicion that my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, will be winning it all this year. Therefore, I intend to watch as many of their games as possible on MLB.com. However, when you attend a game in person, I believe that minor league baseball is by far the best baseball experience. It is much cheaper than major league baseball, and you can usually get infield seats in the first or second row, which is how I was able to take the photograph on the left at a Florida State League game at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Florida.  Best of all, minor league baseball has all kinds of contests and events every half inning to keep the crowd entertained. 


And there is no better way to spend a summer evening than at a family friendly venue like Roger Dean Stadium. During spring training, the St. Louis Cardinals and Miami Marlins train there, but the rest of the time the Jupiter Hammerheads and the Palm Beach Cardinals play their games there.  Sitting so close to the front, fans often get to interact with the team manager, coaches, and players. Of course, the only person on the field I ever interacted with was the Palm Beach Cardinals mascot, which to me was more disturbing than fun. I am not a big fan of mascots. They kind of remind me of clowns, which these days have quite the creepy reputation, thanks to serial killer John Wayne Gacy and horror writer Stephen King. I must admit that the Cardinals mascot in the photo on the right did seem friendly. However, I suggest you never turn your back on him, just in case. See you at the ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment