Saturday, January 30, 2021

Walking Through The Mapleton Hill Historic District



I drove to Boulder and took a walk through the Mapleton Hill Historic District last week. Mapleton Hill is a beautiful, Victorian era neighborhood located on a hill just north of the downtown area, with wonderful views of the Flatirons, as seen in the photograph on the left. I have to say, the wealthier residents of Boulder lived very well back in the 19th century. The current residents seem to have a pretty cushy lifestyle, too.





There are some modest houses on the hill, but most seem to be very large indeed. And even the smaller houses seem to be priced in the million dollar range. I suspect that a lot of these larger homes were built so that they could rent out rooms to University of Colorado students. Either that, or they must have all had very large families indeed.




The house on the left I thought was particularly nice. It was built in 1888, back when I was a mere child. I looked it up online, and it was purchased in 2013 for $860,000. It is not for sale, but the estimated value is now close to 2 million dollars. I really like the place, but that does seem a bit pricey, even for me. I wonder what the original owners would have thought about that price tag?

No comments:

Post a Comment