Wednesday, January 6, 2021

It's Epiphany! Time To Take Down That Tree!


Today is Epiphany, the Twelve Day of Christmas, the day the three wise men reached Bethlehem and presented their gifts to the Christ Child.  It is also the last day you have a valid excuse for keeping your Christmas tree up. I myself wait at least a few weeks after Christmas before taking the tree down, since I usually only put it up on Christmas Eve.  It always feels like I just finished putting those damn lights on the tree before I have to take them off again. My sister Susan actually does me one better, and leaves her tree up until Memorial Day. They don't call her the neighborhood eccentric up there in Fort Collins, Colorado for nothing. Of course, this year, leaving the tree up can be explained as therapy for the Covid crisis, but I think most people see through that excuse. Regardless, Happy Epiphany Everyone, whatever your religion and whatever you decide to do with the tree. And, by the way, the photograph above I took of my mother Mary during the Christmas of 1996, in the living room of my sister Susan and brother-in-law George's townhouse up in Fort Collins, Colorado. Hell, after looking at this photo, maybe I'll just leave the tree up year round. They don't call me "crazy old man Hoyt" for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment