Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Denver's East High


I took the above photograph of Denver's East High School from the parking garage of the Tattered Cover Bookstore on East Colfax, where I used to work as the bookkeeper. There was a snowstorm the night before, which gave it a nice seasonal look. This school has graduated many notable alumni, including Judy Collins, Neil Cassady of Beat Generation fame, Mamie Eisenhower, Douglas Fairbanks, Harold Lloyd (of silent film fame), actress Pam Grier, Hattie McDaniel, the first African American to win an academy award (for Gone With the Wind), Sidney Sheldon, and jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves. The only famous person I can remember from Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields, Illinois, where I went to high school, was playwright, screenwriter, and author David Mamet, who graduated the spring before I started there as a freshman. No problem - fame is fleeting, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment