Monday, March 15, 2021

Blizzard!



Denver's weather forecasters told us that a huge snowstorm would take place here all weekend. When I went to bed Saturday night, and could still see pavement in front of my building, I was convinced they had made a mistake. Then I woke up Sunday morning to a full scale blizzard, which I immediately took a photograph of out the window. But the problem with that was you couldn't see anything because of all the blowing snow, which has made me think blizzard photos are way overrated. I therefore waited until the wind let up a bit before taking the photograph on the left, which at least resulted in a photograph with details you could make out.



We wound up getting 18 inches of snow here in Denver and up in Fort Collins. However, now that Denver's official weather station is at Denver International Airport, located close to the Kansas State line, the official Denver snow total was 24.1 inches, making it the 4th biggest storm in the city's history. As Mark Twain once famously said, "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics." But it was still a pretty nasty storm. There were lots of people out and about in their cars, surprised at how easy it was to get stuck during a major blizzard, and needing to be rescued. Surely they couldn't ALL be former Californians, could they?

No comments:

Post a Comment