Saturday, March 27, 2021

Pondering An Opening Day Dilemma


Opening Day for the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field will take place this coming Thursday afternoon, April 1st. For many years, I attended this annual event, although not for the past 4 years (the ticket now costs a bloody fortune). However, when I did attend, I would take the RTD (Regional Transportation District) light rail train from my condo to the Union Station stop (seen in the photograph on the left) and walk the few blocks to the stadium. That was all well and good until after the game, when it seemed like the entire city of Denver was trying to board the train home. After I did get on, everyone in the car was packed in cheek to jowl. Coors Field will only be at 50% capacity this year due to Covid-19 restrictions (about 22,000 people), but I imagine there will still be a lot of people wanting to board those trains. Since everyone will be required to maintain a 6 foot distance, that might be quite a problem. I hope RTD will have a LOT of cars on those trains this Thursday.



Except for big events like Opening Day, staying 6 feet apart from each other on RTD trains is not too hard. A lot of potential riders are still put off after being told at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic that taking public transportation would be a death trip. I myself have been taking trains and busses all over town for the past year, and often find myself the only passenger. And one of the few passengers I did encounter on a recent ride back to the University of Denver stop (seen in the photograph on the right) told me I looked just like Bernie Sanders. Really? I mean really? Amazingly enough, he did not seem to intend it as an insult, or even as a joke. Just another one of those Millennials who think everyone over 40 is ancient. Get any closer, kid, and I'll gum ya to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment