Sunday, March 14, 2021

Speaking Of Snow...


Since this is such a snowy weekend here in Denver, it made me think of winters past, when my sister Susan, brother-in-law George, and I used to actually drive into the mountains to ski, both downhill and cross-country. We would often go with George's cousin Richard when we went downhill skiing. He was an excellent skier, and felt the more difficult the ski run, the better. He took us on runs that he thought were easy, but gave the three of us the feeling he was trying to kill us. Can you take out life insurance policies on people without their knowledge? I took the above photograph of Susan and George during a cross-country ski outing, a much safer winter activity than downhill, especially when Richard was around. As I remember, we were on a cross-country ski trail, near the Keystone Ski Resort, that led to an abandoned mining town. During the spring, when it was sunny, it made for a very pleasant day, although once the sun set, it got very cold, very fast. I remember an especially memorable trip back to my car while on a cross-country ski trail near Vail Pass, when the sun began to set when I was only halfway back. It took over an hour, with the car heater going full blast, before I could stop shaking. But I survived - physically, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment