Thursday, March 4, 2021

Electric Cars Are The Future, But What About The Future Of Road Trips?

The CEO of General Motors wants to stop production of gas and diesel automobiles by 2035, the same year California plans to ban selling them in that state. And let's face it - trends that start in California tend to move eastward quickly. I was thinking about this while walking past a Tesla dealership (seen in the photo on the left) at Denver's Cherry Creek Shopping Center, the mall of choice for the city's affluent. And by the way, I am still not used to seeing car dealerships in malls. The only other one I can remember was in the Blues Brothers movie, when, to evade police, Jake and Elwood drove their car into a mall and a car dealership located there ("The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year"). But I digress. If electric cars are indeed the future, it is scary to think that Teslas start around $38,000, and those basic models only go about 263 miles before needing to be recharged. That would make a cross country road trip quite a long ordeal.


I know that in 2035 I will (hopefully) be 82 years old, but if I am still around, I very well might want to drive from Denver to Stuart, Florida and back. Shelling out 38K (and God knows how much they will cost by then) and only being able to go 263 miles per day would be a true hassle. But I do have a solution. I spotted the vehicle in the photograph on the right at Four Mile Historic Park the other day, and I am sure that one just like it could be had for far less than $38,000. It is only a 2 horse power model, but on the plus side, if you can only go 263 miles a day in a Tesla, why not just take a little longer and save some big bucks. Plus, it reminds me of what I first drove when I turned 16 back in Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment