Monday, March 29, 2021

Spring Training Winds Down


I watched the final televised Chicago White Sox spring training game on MLB.com yesterday afternoon. The game was played at their Camelback Ranch baseball facility in Glendale, Arizona, as seen in the photograph on the left. Opening Day is this coming Thursday, and the White Sox will start on the road against the Los Angeles Angels. The White Sox came from behind to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 7 to 4, and are expected to be playoff contenders this year. Now that sports betting is legal here in Colorado, I have the ability put my life savings on the White Sox to win it all. Since I would of course jinx the team by doing that, I will try to restrain myself.


I was very surprised to find that White Sox television broadcasters Steve Stone and Jason Benetti (the young guy from Homewood-Flossmoor High School), seen in the photograph on the right, were already back in Chicago, broadcasting the game remotely. What I still don't know is whether they will travel with the team this year, or remain in Chicago and broadcast the away games from there. Since on Sunday they mentioned having huge television monitors in their broadcast booth, allowing them to follow all the action on the field back in Arizona, I suspect the away games will once again be done remotely, just like last year. Kind of a bummer, but understandable, I guess. I do not know if Steve and Jason prefer to stay home, or actually enjoy traveling to all those baseball towns. If it was me, it would depend on the city. "Pittsburg! Perfect!"

No comments:

Post a Comment