Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Overly Curious Cows Of Fort Collins



The other week I has a little time to kill, and spent it driving around the northwestern corner of Fort Collins, Colorado, right below Horsetooth Reservoir, which has a lot of county owned natural areas, as well as a number of farms. If you own a working farm, you pay a lot less in property taxes, and for a fast growing community like Fort Collins, that is the difference between being able to continue the family farm or selling out to a real estate developer. I took the photograph on the left at a farm off of North Shields Street. This particular cow spotted me as soon as I pulled to the side of the road, and wandered over from the opposite side of the field to get a good look at this stranger.



I think cows live very boring lives, and anything that breaks up that monatany is always welcome. Also, there is always the possibility that I might be bringing them food. In this instance, they were sadly disappointed. This farm is right inside the city limits of Fort Collins, just down the street from a residential neighborhood, which I find pretty fascinating. Of course, there are nothing BUT cows from Fort Collins eastward all the way to Chicago, and north all the way to Canada, so no need to worry. They are not an endangered species. Moose are a different story. I have never ever seen one, and am of the opinion I will most likely see a unicorn before ever seeing one of those mythical moose. Perhaps right in the middle of downtown Fort Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment