Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Hohokam Park Still Exists!


I watched my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, play the Oakland Athletics a while back as I was watching a big blizzard take place outside the windows of my Denver condo. The Oakland broadcast team was doing the telecast on MLB.com, and they were very complimentary toward the White Sox. They especially had good things to say about Liam Hendriks, who was Oakland's star closer last year, and who was recently signed by the White Sox as a free agent. The game was being played in Mesa, Arizona, which I remembered was where the Chicago Cubs trained for many years. And I was very surprised to find that this game was being played at Hohokam Park, which was the spring training home of the Cubs for many years. After the Cubs left for a new facility, I just assumed Hohokam Park was torn down. But evidently, the Oakland A's decided to take over that famous spring training stadium. The announcers were just raving about the place, and one of them even remembered Cubs television broadcaster Harry Caray being cheered by thousands of fans as he entered the press box for each game, saying it resembled the type of adoration the Beatles used to generate. I must say, I am much more favorably disposed toward the Oakland A's after watching that broadcast. The White Sox won the game 1-0. And I suspect the people in the photograph above are some of Wrigley Field's Bleacher Bums, who have not yet realized that the Cubs no longer train there.

No comments:

Post a Comment