Sunday, June 20, 2021

Happy Father's Day!







Today is Father's Day, and in honor of this, I am featuring several photographs of my father Nelson, taken by me on a road trip from Stuart, Florida to Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina that he, my mother Mary, and I took back in June of 1979.  My parents had retired to Stuart three years earlier, and they just loved visiting these two beautiful cities. Savannah is just a 6 hour drive away from Stuart, and Charleston an additional two hours from there. It makes for a great weekend getaway.








My father was 70 years old when we took this trip, a mere 2 years older than I am today. My mother was 63, which I consider just a kid these days, although probably not back then. When I was a youngster, I remember my father telling me once how he and his parents and some other relatives spent part of the year just south of Herbster, Wisconsin, which is located right on Lake Superior. Since they stayed until Thanksgiving, my father and his cousin Grace went to school up there, and dad told me how it was so cold that he had to get out of the horse-drawn school wagon and jog alongside it to stay warm. I remember telling him that he must be pretty old to have gone to school in a horse-drawn carriage, which I believe he took exception to. Of course, now that I am old (or more precisely, older), I have a much different opinion about age. And often wish my father was still around to talk to once in a while. That would have been nice. In any case, Happy Father's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment