Saturday, June 26, 2021

Hemingway Days Returns To Key West!


After being cancelled last year due to the coronavirus, Hemingway Days in Key West is returning to that city July 20-25th. This is probably the biggest festival in Key West, next to their famous (or perhaps infamous) annual Halloween celebration. I myself have never been to either. Not only are there traffic and crowd issues, but I suspect hotel rates go through the roof during those events. In fact, the last time I was in Key West was March of 1979, when my mother Mary, father Nelson, sister Susan, and I took an overnight trip to Key West from Stuart, Florida, where my parents retired to from Chicago back in 1976. I took the above photograph of them in front of the Hemingway House - which, by the way - is a really interesting place to visit. The only other experience I have had with that tropical paradise since that trip, in addition to reading the stories of Laurence Shames and Tom Corcoran, has been checking out the online webcam mounted at the entrance to Sloppy Joe's Bar, looking out onto Duval Street. If you have never done this, it is highly entertaining (i.e. highly bizarre), and is probably the best way to attend Hemingway Days. I'm just sayin.'

No comments:

Post a Comment