Friday, October 22, 2021

Big Sur




One of my favorite parts of my sister Susan and my roadtrip to California was the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from Carmel by the Sea to Big Sur and beyond. I must say, it is a beautiful drive, with the mountains plunging dramatically down to the sea. I took the photograph on the left as I was driving the route. It was one of the few that turned out well - it is actually pretty hard to take photos like that, especially if you don't want to wind up going over the cliff. Happily, we did not.




Big Sur itself is quite beautiful, and there are many scenic viewpoints where you can pull off the road and take photographs, which I did when I took the photo on the right. It is beautiful all the way down the coast, but it is a long drive, and as we got near to Santa Barbara, we were directed by police to turn around, due to the Alisal Fire that started that afternoon, and wound up taking a long detour over a mountain pass to get there. Despite the late arrival at the Motel 6 in Carpenteria, it was still worth it to see that coastline. And besides - the Motel 6 left the light on for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment