Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Trouble In Paradise


Last week I drove up to Breckenridge and nearby Boreas Pass Road from Denver to view the aspens, and also to just walk around one of my favorite mountain towns. On the way home, I stopped at the Frisco Scenic Overlook - off I-70 between Frisco and Silverthorn - for the very first time, and took the above photograph. Years ago, my then wife Lisa and I would stay at a condo complex called Wildernest every October, which is located in Silverthorn. The complex backs up against a national forest, and is a really nice place to spend a weekend. Back then, it was fun to dream about buying a condo like the one we stayed at, and be able to spend every weekend up there. But just this past week, still another forest fire started north of Silverthorn, reminding me of how frequent those fires take place across the west these days, and how worrying it must be as those fires come ever closer to your home. Is living up there really worth the cost, both financially and psychologically? Of course, these days, what with the high price of real estate in Colorado's mountains, that is one worry I will never have. I think that is called looking at the glass as half full.

No comments:

Post a Comment