Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Columbus Day - Replaced By Indigenous Peoples Day In Chicago Public Schools!


Today is Columbus Day, although that holiday is quickly disappearing. As regular blog readers know, I was never crazy about school, and always welcomed a day off when I attended Fort Dearborn Grammar School in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, back in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Columbus Day was one such holiday, but the Chicago Board of Education has eliminated Columbus Day and replaced it with Indigenous Peoples Day, celebrated on the second Monday in October. I guess if that had happened back when I was going to school, I would not have been all that upset about the change. A day off from school is still a day off, after all. The above photograph, by the way, was taken by me in Mrs. McCormick's Fort Dearborn classroom, showing what my daytime environment looked like back then. As I recall, I got reprimanded for taking that photo, but fortunately, she did not seize the camera. After all, history would have been deprived of a very important look at that era if she had.

No comments:

Post a Comment