Thursday, October 28, 2021

Sunday Afternoon In Wash Park




The foliage is very beautiful this fall in Denver, as well as the rest of Colorado's Front Range, and so I decided to take advantage of a bright sunny Sunday, and go for a walk through the neighborhood, ending up at Washington Park. The park was developed in 1899, and is the centerpiece of the Wash Park neighborhood, one of Denver's most desirable. Since it was a Sunday afternoon, there were a lot of people out and about, enjoying the day. Washington Park is probably the city's most popular. Whenever the local news media wants to highlight a particularly nice day, and don't have any actual news, they usually come here. The park is just a 15 minute walk from my condo, across the street from the University of Denver, and just minutes away by bike. The bicyclists, by the way, are pretty intense, dressed in their stylish outfits, and going as fast as they possibly can, despite a 15 mile per hour speed limit. It is much more peaceful to stick to the trail along the lake, as seen in the photo on the left.





Years ago, my then wife Lisa and I found a house on the east side of the park, with a wonderful view of the mountains beyond. They were asking $279,000. Of course, back in 1982, that was a fortune, way out of our price range. These days, I don't even want to think about how much they would want for that house, even if it were for sale. On the positive side, I am saving a fortune in taxes by not owning that place. Such is my thought process as I walk around the park on a Sunday afternoon, trying very much not to hear the song "Saturday in the Park" by the 70s era group Chicago, starting to form in my brain, despite the fact that it was actually Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment