Monday, July 4, 2022

A Tall Ships Kind Of Fourth



Today is the 4th of July, and in searching for a photograph from the past that I know for a fact was taken on this holiday, I remembered some photos I took on Independence Day back in 1976, when the country was celebrating it's Bicentennial. Back then, I had recently rented my first apartment - in Forest Park - just to the west of Chicago and a block from the "L" station. Since I had the day off, I took the "L" downtown to see the tall ships, which had sailed to Chicago from a variety of countries to help Chicagoans celebrate the Bicentennial. And what do tall ships have to do with the Bicentennial? After 46 years, I still don't know, but enjoyed seeing them nonethless. The photograph on the left, by the way, is of the Christian Radich, a sailing ship out of Oslo, Norway, which was tied up at Chicago's Navy Pier, which at the time was an event space, but now is a popular entertainment center.




Of course, for many people, the 4th of July is all about fireworks, and so I am also including the photograph on the right of fireworks over Coors Field that I took - and posted on this blog - last 4th of July. I was not able to get down there for this year's fireworks, and so if anyone out there is grumbling about using the same photo twice, keep in mind that ALL fireworks look the same - you only think they are different while you are watching them. And on the plus side, I didn't have to hang around outside the ballpark for hours on end this year waiting for the damn Rockies game to end and the fireworks to begin. Last year, as I recall, the game went into extra innings, to my dismay. I did get to see all the hipsters nightclubbing down in LoDo, but trust me - that gets very old very quickly. In any case, Happy 4th of July Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment