Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Sunday Afternoon In Manitou Springs




My sister Susan and I drove from Denver down to Manitou Springs Sunday afternoon, and I am happy to report that the place was packed with tourists, despite intermittent rain showers. This town has been a tourist attraction since the 1870s, and has retained its 19th Century character. It is also where you board the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, which takes you to the summit of that 14,115 foot mountain. You can also drive up there in your own car, although there is a charge for both driving or taking the train. The cheapskate's way is to hike the Barr Trail from Manitou Springs to the top, a 12.6 mile uphill trek. Of course, I did notice an article on the internet from May reporting that a hiker on the Barr Trail was found alive after spending two nights on Pike's Peak, but what the heck. You save money AND have an adventure. 




One of the more popular sights in town, besides the springs themselves, of course, is Miramont Castle, a Victorian home with 30 rooms, built in 1895 for a Catholic priest. I have to assume that the pay was much better for priests back then. I remember touring it years ago, and as I recall, it was quite impressive, although I can't understand why a Catholic priest decided to build a 30 room mansion in the first place. It was obviously built before the Small is Beautiful movement. All I can say is that he must have done a lot of entertaining. In any case, you can get a glimpse of that mansion in the background of the photograph on the right. And don't even think about the utilities bill for the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment