Sunday, July 10, 2022

It's July! Another Britannia Flashback!


My family used to drive up to Britannia, a resort on the Lake of Bays in Ontario, Canada every year from Chicago for a two week vacation, meeting up my Uncle Bill (my mother Mary's brother), Aunt Elsie, and their two children, who drove up from Cleveland. I myself wasn't born yet, and by the time I came along, they were going to different, less expensive places - first Lumina, which still exits, and then Torpitt Lodge. We went to Torpitt, on Sparrow lake near Orillia, Ontario, in August of each year, but when the family vacationed at Britannia, my sister Susan tells me they went in July, and the waitress staff would sing the star spangled banner in a mocking but humorous way every 4th of July. It was evidently a very nice resort, where people dressed for dinner each evening, and in the morning, someone would walk through the hall singing "wakee wakee, rise and shine, breakfast is served at 8:00, not 9:00." The photograph above is an enlarged and restored copy of the original photograph that I have used on this blog in the past. In the back row, from left to right, are my Aunt Elsie, Uncle Bill, mother Mary, and father Nelson. In the front row are my cousins Linda and Judy, sister Susan, Grandmother Louise, and Grandfather Will (my mother's parents). It is definitely time to head back up there for a look once gas prices go down. Which will probably be a long wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment