Thursday, July 7, 2022

Taking Advantage Of A Free Day At The Denver Botanic Gardens


Since it was a free day, my sister Susan and I visited the Denver Botanic Gardens yesterday afternoon. They are located just a short drive from my condo, but the place was packed - surprise! - and so it took a while to find a parking spot. What I want to know is why, when leaving a place, people get into their cars, turn on the engine, brake lights go on, but they never leave. Are they texting every known acquantance to let them know where they have been, where they are going now, and what they have been up to the past 5 years? Even when they know parking spaces are at a premium and people are waiting for them to move? No matter. We finally found a spot, arrived right on time, and proceeded to walk through the gardens. The photograph above is of the Monet Pool, adding a touch of Giverny to the place.

The last time I was at the botanic gardens was years ago when I went there with a group of friends and former University of Denver coworkers to see an exhibit by glass artist Dale Chihuly, which as I recall was quite impressive. All of the pieces were artistically lit, and I took many photographs, which I have stored on an external hard drive somewhere that I am sure I will be able to locate within the next 5 years or so. Still another advantage of the digital age - having thousands of computer files instead of actual photographs.

The Denver Botanic Gardens is divided into different types of gardens, including the Shofu-en Japanese Garden and the Victorian Secret Garden, seen in the photograph on the left. There is also a very popular concert series on summer evenings called Music at the Gardens, which this summer features artists such as Mary Chapin Carpenter (appearing tonight!) and Judy Collins. I myself have never attended one of these concerts, since the botanic garden charges pretty serious money to get in. Free days are much more my style. And I am not a cheapskate - just frugal.


No comments:

Post a Comment