Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Baseball's All-Star Game Is Tonight!


Tonight is Major League Baseball's All Star Game, pitting the National against the American League, a contest that has been going on since the first All-Star Game on July 6th, 1933 at Chicago's Comiskey Park. Among the players in that first contest was none other than Babe Ruth, who put on quite a show, helping the American League beat the National League 4-2. I myself was quite young at the time, and didn't attend, but I did go to the first All-Star Game at Coors Field in Denver back in 1998, where I took the above photograph from my seat in the Rockpile. As I recall, the seats were expensive, very far away from the action, and the game itself was quite the slugfest, making for a very long evening. These days they use a humidor to compensate for the thin air, which cuts down on home runs, but that still didn't make me want to go to the second All-Star Game in Coors Field history, held there last year. Been there, done that. Could I be getting even cheaper in my old age? In any case, tonight's game is at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, and I don't intend to go to that game, either. Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment