Sunday, July 24, 2022

Attempting To Clear Up Clear Lake Mysteries



My Grandfather Hoyt was born and raised in Clear Lake, Iowa, a pleasant little town that still retains much of it's 19th Century charm, before moving to Chicago to work for the Rock Island Railroad. I have photographs I know were taken in Clear Lake, but except for the photograph on the left of my grandmother Fleta, grandfather Claire, and father Nelson, I have no idea who anyone in the other photographs are. I would really like to identify my grandfather's mother, Sophie, and her father, Alexander Nelson, but can only guess which photos show them. Why couldn't they have labeled these photos so I would be able to figure it all out? Very inconsiderate.






What peaked my interest in the family back in Clear Lake was finding a photo and postcard album years ago that belonged to Viola Thayer, my grandfather's half-sister, who died at the age of 17 from complications of diabetes. She passed away on December 21, 1910, and I am guessing that the photograph on the right is of her from that year. There are three different photos in the album of this girl wearing the same outfit, and for that reason, I am guessing it is Viola. I also have photos that I believe are of her mother and grandfather, but again, it is only a guess. My only hope is that my cousin John, who is going through boxes of photographs that belonged to his late father, my Uncle Jack, will find some old family photos that will offer more clues. My advise to everyone out there is if you have family photographs, LABEL THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE! It will save a lot of time and trouble for people trying to identify you after you have been dead for 112 years or so. And yes! It is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment