Sunday, July 17, 2022

Me And Travis McGee


Today I am featuring a photograph from the last century that my sister Susan took of me, posing with a plaque marking the location of Slip F-18, Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This was where Travis McGee, the hero of a series of adventure novels written by John D. McDonald, moored his houseboat, the Busted Flush. I just loved those books, and started reading them when I began working at the Walden Books in North Riverside, Illinois, just to the west of Chicago. Back then, I could simply rip off the front cover of the mass market paperbacks and take the books home to read. Travis McGee was a "salvage consultant," living on his houseboat, walking the Florida beaches, drinking Boodles gin, and helping out damsels in distress, righting wrongs while expressing his thoughts about modern society and the greed of Florida politicians and developers. The books are kind of dated now, but some things obviously never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment