Monday, June 12, 2017

Best of Show? Congratulations Joe!



This weekend was the Art Student's League of Denver's Summer Art Market, and through a lucky scheduling break at my part-time job at a local grocery store, I was able to attend. And a mainstay at the festival is Joe, my friend and former University of Denver Bookstore colleague, who once again had  a booth displaying his artwork.  Joe teaches printmaking at the Art Student's League of Denver two days a week, works at the DU Bookstore another two days a week, and spends the rest of his time working on his artwork. The photograph on the left is the photograph I was originally going to use for this Blog, since it shows a bit of Joe's artwork.  Joe wanted to make sure, however, that I included the plaque on the right side of the photo.



The plaque has his name on it, and I thought that was the only reason he wanted it in the photograph.  It wasn't until I uploaded the photo that I actually read it. And what it says is "Best of Show, Joe Higgins, Summer Art Market 2017."   Wow! Congratulations Joe!  What a great honor!  If I had known he had received this honor from the beginning, I would have cropped the photograph as it is on the right.instead.  Joe is, of course, a great artist, but I have to wonder if the artistic atmosphere of the University of Denver Bookstore had a great deal to do with inspiring his art?  After all, look at me.  In any case, I'll have to ask him about that the next time I see him.  And be sure to check out Joe's website at http://www.joehigginsmonotypes.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment