Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chicago Memories


With lots of time on my hands lately and last Sunday being Mother's Day and all, I have become very nostalgic about my days growing up in Chicago.  Several years ago I went back to the old neighborhood after 40 years and had a wonderful time.  The result was an international best seller called "The Journey Home: Returning to Chicago" (www.blurb.com/b/1361398-the-journey-home-returning-to-chicago).  Be sure to DEMAND IT from your local Bookstore!  The above photograph shows the resulting book in front of my priceless R.C. Kimball painting, bought from an art gallery on 95th Street, just down the street from our old house in the Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago.  It depicts Mary Queen of Scotts standing next to her executioner and was given to me by my sister after she finally started getting creeped out by it.  Now that I am footloose and fancy free, I often wonder what it would be like to move back to the old neighborhood and walk the streets I once walked every day as a child?  Can you really go home again?  I have no punchline for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment