Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Memories


Yesterday was Memorial Day, and I couldn't help but think back to years ago when my then wife Lisa and I would meet my sister Susan and brother-in-law George up in Estes Park, Colorado for a Memorial Day hike.  We would take one car into Rocky Mountain National Park, find a suitable trail, and start hiking.  Invariably,  we would find ourselves hiking up a snow covered trail through a mist shrouded forest.  The further we went, the deeper the snow and the thicker the mist.  George, a big fan of orienteering, or at least a fan of a book on orienteering, would suggest a number of off-trail possibilities.  By this time, Lisa would be freaking out and insisting that we turn back immediately.  We would then turn around, drive back to Estes Park, find a suitable "bistro," and drink beer. It wasn't until years later that I began to realize that this was my brother-in-law George's plan all along.  Being young and innocent, I didn't suspect a thing.  I never did take any photographs during those hikes - we were focused only on survival.  The photograph above (from left to right) shows me, Lisa, my mother Mary, and George being photographed in the park by my sister Susan, a little later in the summer.  Where is the adventure in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment