Monday, May 13, 2013

Pounding The Petals


Bill (see photo above), former Operations Coordinator of the DU Bookstore and currently living the good life as a retiree, invited me to do some biking Sunday.  It was a beautiful day for it, and we started our trek on the rolling country roads north of Niwot, Colorado.  At first it was a fairly flat and easy ride. We stopped at an old Swedish-Lutheran church, built in 1882, to have a look, and then started biking up Nelson Road.  Bill is in great shape - me, not so much. At the top of a rather steep hill, the road ahead looked flat, but it turned out it really wasn't - there was a slight but hellish grade. As I biked uphill, I noticed a white cross along the side of the road, no doubt the site where a previous bicyclist had dropped dead.  Then I saw the ghosts of some Swedish farmers waving to me.  One wore a cape and carried a sickle, but no worries - I think that is just some sort of Swedish farm tool.  By the time we got to the end of Nelson road and pressed on, it was all downhill, thank goodness, and I thought to myself, "maybe Bill isn't trying to kill me after all."  So on the whole, it was a great day of biking.  Maybe in 3 or 4 months (or years) I'll be in shape, too.  One can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment