Friday, May 3, 2013

Louviers Colorado - A Dynamite Kind Of Town


I took a trip to Louviers, Colorado - about 15 miles south of Denver - yesterday on the advice of Barry, my friend and former co-worker at the DU Bookstore. Louviers was a company town, founded in 1906, and the company made dynamite.  I decided to take a photograph of the former Louviers Community Church (see above), now a private residence and currently for sale.  The dynamite factory was open from 1908 until the early 1980s, and I imagine that if you worked in a dynamite factory, you didn't miss too many church services.  Now that the factory is gone and attendance has dropped, you can buy the former church for your family home.  Just don't let the ghosts of all those dynamite workers and their families scare you.  They were all very friendly to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment