Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy Birthday Harry!


My brother-in-law reports on his Facebook Page that last Saturday would have been baseball announcer Harry Caray's 100th birthday.  Harry was the announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals for 25 years, became the TV and radio announcer for the Chicago White Sox when Bill Veeck owned the team, and finished his career with the Chicago Cubs.  Harry was not your politically correct baseball announcer, as demonstrated by his announcing style and such actions as giving first lady Hillary Clinton a smooch and asking "how ya doing, doll."  I took the above photograph of Harry in 1980 at the old Comiskey Park, which has since been torn down and replaced by an inferior stadium in order to make more money for the owner.  I remember Harry and his color man, Jimmy Piersall would get into arguments every once in a while on the air.  Piersall, who had a nervous breakdown when he was a baseball player - immortalized in the book and movie "Fear Strikes Out," - would always end the argument by telling Harry that "I've got papers in my pocket that say I'm sane, Harry.  Do you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment