Thursday, March 20, 2014

Me And My Kimball


I don't know if I have ever featured the H.C. Kimball painting over my sofa on this Blog or not, but if so, I am just going to go ahead and feature it again, anyway.  It was purchased by my sister at an art gallery on 95th Street in the South Side Chicago neighborhood of Beverly.  Susan bought it to put over her sofa in her new studio apartment on the 40th floor of the 1130 South Michigan building in downtown Chicago.  It was a wonderful apartment with a great view of the lights of Chicago, not to mention the Chicago Police Headquarters Lockup on South State Street and an extremely seedy looking bar at the corner of 12th and Wabash.  I once dreamed of having an apartment in Chicago just like it, but eventually had to settle for a nice 2 bedroom condo in South Central Denver.  In any case, my sister gave me the painting when she finally got tired of it.  Like me, you are probably asking yourself how in the world anyone could get tired of a surrealist painting of Mary Queen of Scots next to her executioner.  It's just hard to figure, especially considering that it is probably worth a fortune these days.  I think I will have to start sleeping with a shotgun next to my bed, just like Fredrick C. Hamilton must have done at his humble Denver bungalow before he donated his 100 million dollar collection of impressionist painting to the Denver Art Museum.  And by the way, I am hoping Hamilton and I can get together some day and discuss our respective collections.  Maybe I can swap my Kimball for a Degas.  Hope springs eternal!

No comments:

Post a Comment