Thursday, April 30, 2015

An Auspicious 40th Anniversary


Forty year ago today I was down in Jensen Beach, Florida - along with my parents Nelson and Mary - staying at a cottage on the Indian River (seen in the photo above) while we visited my Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie and took a look at Stuart, Florida for the first time.  My father very much wanted to retire down in Florida and play golf for the years he had remaining, which turned out to be a mere 8 more.  My mother hated to leave Chicago, and only moved down there to please my father.  She actually wound up loving the place, and lived there happily for 30 years.  In any case, I remember sitting in that cottage on this day 40 years ago and listening on the radio to the fall of Saigon, marking the end of the United States' involvement in Vietnam.  Ten years of fighting, the loss of over 58,000 American lives, not to mention the loss of over 1 million Vietnamese lives, and all for nothing.  Talk about a sad anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment