Tuesday, April 21, 2015

More Hoyts Than You Can Shake A Stick At...


Every time I go the Central Library here in Denver, my eyes are drawn to the sign over the north wing of the building announcing the Burnham Hoyt Room.  When I lived in Chicago, our family was the only Hoyt family living there, but out here in Denver the place is filthy with Hoyts.  Burnham Hoyt was an architect who designed the north wing of the Central Library, Red Rocks Amphitheater, as well as many other structures here in Colorado. Another prominent figure in Colorado was Palmer Hoyt, for many years the publisher of the Denver Post. Back when I was the Manager of the Hatch's Bookstore in the University Hills Mall in Southeast Denver, his widow, Helen May Hoyt, used to come into the store and chat with me.  She was, by the way,  the queen of Denver society at the time. One day she invited me to her son's house for a big get-together. Finally - I was about to enter Denver high society!  I drove to her son's house, and was introduced to him by Helen and led to a seat in the living room.  There was a blackboard at the front of the room, and a short while later her son walked to the front of the room, pointed to a circle on it, and said "This is you."  It was an introduction I was well familiar with.  Just a week earlier my then wife Lisa and I attended a similar gathering at the house of a friend of hers, where we were asked to become Amway distributors.  So much for entering high society.  Blind ambition foiled again.

No comments:

Post a Comment