Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Remembering The Hatch Gang




I mentioned in yesterday's Blog that it has been 20 years since Coors Field opened.  As much as I am amazed by that fact, I find it even harder to believe that it has been over 30 years since I managed the Hatch's Bookstore in the University Hills Mall here in Denver.  The Hatch's Bookstore chain is long gone now, as is the University Hills Mall itself, but I keep in touch with many of the people who used to work there.  My friend Stuart - standing on the right in the photo on the left and wearing his trademark (at the time) Groucho glasses - is frequently featured on this Blog.  Sitting on the step in the front row are (from left to right) Maggie, now head of The Colorado Center for the Book, Lisa, my then wife, currently an elementary school teacher in San Francisco, and Carrie, who went off to New York City and became editor in chief for a major publishing house.  My sister Susan and friend Robin, although not in the photograph, also worked at Hatch's, and are often featured on this Blog.  Bruce, in the back row on the left, moved to Wyoming to become an archaeologist for the highway department, and was never heard from again.  That happens a lot to people who move to Wyoming. Frankly, I advise people to not even drive through the state, let alone move there.

No comments:

Post a Comment