Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Importance Of Photography



I have taken a lot of photographs in my lifetime, as many of my friends and loved ones will tell you.  In fact, many of these same friends and loved ones have threatened me over some of these photographs. As people get older, they sometimes become more sensitive about having their photograph taken.  My Grandmother Spillard used to take a scissors and cut out her face from photographs that she didn't like.  My sister Susan drove me out of her kitchen with a knife a few weeks ago to keep me from taking a photograph of her. However, I personally believe that photographs of friends and family at any age are priceless, such as the two above of my mother and her family.   The top photograph was taken of the Spillard family in front of their apartment on the South Side of Chicago sometime in the 1930s.  From left to right are my mother Mary, my Uncle Jack, my Grandfather William (Bill), Grandmother Louise, and my Uncle Bill.  The bottom photograph was taken at my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party, held back in 1968 at our home in the Southern Suburbs of Chicago. In that photograph my grandparents are standing  in the back, and from left to right on the couch are my Uncle Jack, mother Mary, and Uncle Bill.  What great memories these photos evoke.  Is photography a wonderful thing or what?  

No comments:

Post a Comment