Saturday, June 15, 2019

An Official (More Or Less) Return To DU



I got an e-mail from my friend Mark telling me that there would be a retirement party that afternoon for Rebecca Chopp (seen in the above photograph), the Chancellor of the University of Denver, who is leaving her position due to health issues. Feeling that I needed to be there to represent the original University of Denver Bookstore staff (who worked there before it was outsourced to Follett Higher Education Group) and also sensing that a free lunch might be involved, I decided to head right over, where there was indeed a free buffet. Soon after I arrived, the speeches began, and I must say that the university community seems to have a very high opinion of the outgoing chancellor.  The head of the Board of Trustees actually broke down in tears during her speech. This is the first time in 6 or 7 years that I have actually attended a non-sports related DU event, and I was kind of surprised at how many former DU colleagues I met and who actually remembered me ("It's crazy old man Hoyt!").  I even spoke with the Vice Chancellor of Business and Financial Affairs (under whose auspices the DU Bookstore, where I worked for almost 30 years, was outsourced) for a few minutes, exchanging pleasantries. Finally! Back in the good graces of the DU community, just like the past 7 years didn't even happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment